Wednesday, May 2, 2007

[ 4 ] Luck happens.

From: "Kelly Bedford"
Date: April 13, 2004 6:06:54 AM PDT
To: Andy Askren
Subject: RE: Serotta Serial number...

Hello Andrew,
Surprise, surprise you're a lucky fellow!
According to our records the frame you have is one of the original Tour de France bikes built specifically for Ron Kiefel. Even though we've tried to engineer our Ti and steel frames to have closely matched ride qualities, the reality is they are still different materials with different ride qualities. It's possible that steel suits your climbing style a bit better but on the other hand, Ti may suit your style better in other areas. Since you've just started riding this frame I would suggest spending more time on it, and then possibly riding each one back to back in varying conditions to get a feel for what conditions each one excels in.
They are both wonderful frames...enjoy.
Kelly


That's the note I got back from Kelly Bedford at Serotta, replying to my inquiry about the background of #70411, with a couple ride notes comparing my Legend Ti.

How proud am I of this detective work?!

Remember, by now I've been riding this bike more and more and still marveling at how good it feels to me. The developing chronicle of this ride just fueled the experience.

I followed up with Kelly to see if he had any specs on the geometry, measurements, etc. He sent a note to Ron.


From: Kelly Bedford [mailto:kelly@serotta.com]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 11:37 AM
To: ronk@ridewrc.com
Subject: Vintage TDF frame

Hello Ron,
I have a customer that has acquired one of your original Huffy Team TDF frames and, is very interested in finding out some details on it. I've already given him a general description of the why's and how's of the construction of these frames but I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on your geometry from that time period as versus what you ride now. I wouldn't normally bother you with this but, I haven't been able to find any records of your build specs from back then.
Thanks, Kelly


Interesting he refers to it as a Huffy. Hmm. But wait, there's more...


From: Ron Kiefel [mailto:ron@ridewrc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 9:01 PM
To: Kelly Bedford
Subject: RE: Vintage TDF frame

Hi Kelly,

I think the geometry is 59x57 with a 73 deg seat angle. Most of my frames where designed around that geometry which was based on a GIOS frame that I had prior. I still ride the same basic geometry with the handlebars about 1-2 cm's higher. I need more room for the paunch:)

Thanks,

Ron Kiefel


Cool.

No comments: