Wednesday, May 2, 2007

[ 7 ] Luck happens, part 2.

The good thing about not having 70411 here anymore was that it wasn't stolen when my house was robbed. I was just moving in, had all my "big" stuff in--electronics, clothes, bikes--and they took most of it all. Everything except my laptop and my Vanilla. They even took some of my socks, underwear, my coolest t-shirts, some jackets, cycling shoes, TVs, DVD players, etc etc etc and four bikes: the Pegoretti, Gunnar and two Kellys, along with some spare wheelsets. This just as I thought things were starting to look up. This was a crusher.

Oddly enough, I had written Tom B a few weeks before to check in on the Serotta. It was the one bike I'd sold that I'd never forgotten, and felt sick I'd even let go of in the first place. Clearly, I needed funds when I had to sell it... but how then did I acquire other bikes since it? It made no sense to me, the one person responsible for it. (Did I mention these were dark times?)

So I followed up my initial hello with a humble plea after the break in. I asked Tom if he would sell the Serotta back to me. Still makes me squirm thinking about putting a friend in that position; it wasn't out of selfishness or greed or anything like that (though I know it put Tom between the wall and the sword.) I told him I really would understand if he didn't want to; and I really did. It wouldn't have surprised me at all. He surprised me instead by selling it back to me. I don't think he knows how much he helped me and my spirit with that gesture. Thank you Tom Byrnes, truly, thank you. I am in debt to you.

70411 was back!

No comments: